How It Works
We’re here to help you. Research shows that the best way to quit tobacco is through getting professional help.1 The Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline provides FREE phone-based or web-based coaching and FREE Nicotine Replacement Therapy (patches, gum, or lozenges).
What happens when you call or click
Choose your program
The Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline is completely FREE and confidential. When you’re ready, call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669) or enroll in our Online Coaching program. The Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline is open 7 days a week.
Talk or chat online to a Quit Coach®
When you enroll in a program with the Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline, you will have access to a professionally trained Quit Coach®. Our coaches are specially trained to help you quit on your terms. A Quit Coach® understands how hard it is to quit and knows how to help you quit successfully. Each Quit Coach® is trained in tobacco cessation and knows the latest methods to successfully quit tobacco. They are understanding and supportive, and have previous experience in counseling. Quit Coaches® do not pressure smokers into quitting or make them feel guilty if they stumble in the process.
Set a quit plan and get free nicotine patches/gum/lozenges
The Quitline will work with you to create a plan just for you keeping in mind what has worked for you in the past and what hasn’t. From here, we will work with you to:
- Help get you ready to quit.
- Know what to expect as you quit.
- Put together a quit plan that takes into account your personal needs.
- Share problem-solving ideas to help you succeed.
- Teach you the skills to help you break old habits.
- Decide if nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, or a combination of these are right for you. If they are, they will be sent to you for free.
- Help you find other programs, in your community that can help you through face-to-face individual or group sessions.
Get support for yourself or others
Once you’re ready to quit, your coach will arrange for follow-up calls, texts, or e-mails at your convenience and send you helpful materials so that you can stay on track. If you prefer, your coach can help find face-to-face support in your area. Quit Coaches® have helped thousands of smokers break the addiction. And they can help you too!
- Fiore, MC, et al., Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update—Clinical Practice Guideline, U.S. Public Health Service, May 2008, http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/tobacco/treating_tobacco_use08.pdf.